What Equipment Do I Need for Online Language Lessons?
Knowing which kind of equipment you’ll need for online language learning is essential if you’re thinking of taking it up. If you’ve reached this decision, then you surely know about all the benefits of online language lessons, and you’ve thoroughly prepared for online language learning.
All that remains is to become familiar with the various online tools needed to learn English in Los Angeles remotely, and get cracking. However, in order to learn the tools, first you need equipment. Let’s take a look at exactly what you’ll need.
What equipment is essential for online language classes?
Considering the struggles the world’s finding itself in, online learning and teaching has become a matter of necessity, even for the California Department of Education. Opening schools is still not considered safe, so what else is there to do? Teaching and learning has to go on.
But, wanting to learn a language online is one thing. Being prepared to learn a language online is quite another. There’s some essential equipment you’ll need in order to be able to learn online, and here are the essentials of the essential.
- A dependable computer - Now, all of us have either a PC or a laptop. However, not all PCs and laptops are good enough to be used in online learning. You need a computer that is reliable enough and that will not let you down while class is in session.
- A stable internet connection - A good and reliable computer is only one part of the equation that makes a good online learning environment. What good is a computer that works if your internet is down? So, consult with your provider and make sure your internet connection is here to stay.
- A good microphone - Sure, just about any microphone will do, but you should, at least, try to splurge a bit for a quality one. Yes, the teacher will be able to hear you, but a good microphone eliminates a lot of background noise and makes your voice crisp and clear.
- An HD webcam - OK, your webcam of choice does not have to be Full HD, but it should, at least, be 720p. Online learning is a lot more enjoyable when you can see everybody clearly, and when everybody can see you clearly as well.
- Pen & paper - We were thinking long and hard whether this should be considered essential equipment or not, bearing in mind that you’ll be behind your computer. However, sometimes, taking notes is simply necessary, and nothing beats going old school for this.
What additional equipment might I need for online language lessons?
OK, now that all the essentials are accounted for, let’s turn our attention to some additional pieces of equipment you might want, or need, if you plan on taking English lessons online. Note that none of this is a must, and it all depends on your wants and needs.
- Headset - Some people prefer using a headset with a microphone rather than speakers and microphone separately. This greatly depends on what works better for you, but you should definitely consider both options.
- Silent keyboard - If you plan on taking notes during a lesson on your computer, you should definitely think about using a keyboard with silent keys. Sure, you can mute yourself, but sometimes you need to be present while taking notes too.
- Flash drive - Sometimes, you might need to print something out and, if you haven’t got a printer, you might need to go out to do it. Enter flash drive - your trusty combatant.
- Printer - Speaking of printers, you can consider buying one and printing all the notes from your lessons in order to archive them all in a single place.
- Lighting - If your study area is poorly lit, you should consider buying some additional lighting for it. There are kinds you plug into your USB port, so it’s all quite practical, while making you look a lot better on camera.
- Pajamas - Now, nobody’s saying you NEED pajamas, but, taking online lessons doesn’t count if at least one of them wasn’t in your favorite pajamas. Just make sure to get a cool looking set.
- Green screen - Looking to make your learning experience a lot more interesting for both you and everybody else involved? Get a green canvas, place it behind you, and start using virtual backgrounds. Oh, and make sure to run as wild with them as humanly possible.
“What is the best school to learn English online in Los Angeles with?”
If you’re eager to learn a language ,all that’s left in these times is to do it online. Now, don’t think of it as a bad thing - far from it, especially if you find a language school in LA which functions equally well both on and off the line.
Enter College of English Language - the finest language school in California, and beyond. With us, you won’t even notice the difference when we teach you online. So, even though you can’t visit the Petersen Automotive Museum, you can still learn a language. Just contact us and we’ll work everything out.