Do good, and feel good while improving your English! Partner with local non-profit organizations 3 or more afternoons per week alongside our regular English Courses at our school. Immerse yourself in helping the community and elevate your English.
We offer volunteer work with many different organizations and fields of interest. Find one that interests you. Check out some of the fields we have to offer:
- Work with elderly San Diegans at Serving Seniors in Downtown San Diego and assist them with meals. Learn about their lives and rich history each resident holds through conversing with them. You get to practice your English with some locals.
- Assist in improving communities with City of Refuge and sort and organize donations. Help out with setting up events for the community and immersing yourself in an alternative version of American Culture.
- Get involved with the San Diego History Museum in world famous Balboa Park and learn about the city of San Diego while assisting visitors at the information booth. You will be able to meet many locals as well as visitors from all over the world. Here you can get a glimpse of San Diego history and culture.
- Work with Reading Legacies and assist individuals in achieving literacy with books and every day lives. Practice with individuals and build their confidence with reading. You may work with school-aged children and sometimes even adults.
- Be an environmental hero and help clean up beaches in Pacific Beach. You can hang out at the beach afterwards and continue helping make the beach look nicer. Make a difference in San Diego’s efforts to keep the coast clean and continue making it one of the most beautiful places of the world.
- Clear trails of debris and hazards with the San Diego River and Park Foundation. This opportunity allows you to get to know San Diego’s wilder side. Impact San Diego’s wildlife and nature.
- Take part in providing water for runners at one of the many 5k Runs for charity hosted in San Diego. These runs occur throughout multiple times of the year and are high energy and exciting volunteering events. You’ll just want to GO GO GO at these events!
- You can also help out with cultural celebrations such as Film Festivals throughout the year. Get to know other cultures and celebrate their achievements. You can see bits of all the other cultures that mesh together to create the San Diego lifestyle.
And many many more...
Volunteering will occur 2+ afternoons per week. We have opportunities that range from 2 weeks, 6 months, and even up to a year. Some time for training and application may be required before volunteering so please let us know 4 weeks in advance when you apply of what type of volunteer work you’re interested in so that we can match you with an organization and fulfill any equirements before you arrive. Please keep in mind that availability of volunteer opportunities will vary throughout the year. Most volunteer opportunities do not require a student visa, however for
long term volunteering opportunities that exceed 3 months will require a student visa.
Individuals who are interested in the program are highly advised to plan at least 4 weeks in advance. It is encouraged students notify CEL of volunteer preferences such as educational vs social services. Students should submit a list of preferred fields of volunteering and include a 2nd and 3rd choice with their application in advance. This will allow our team to match individuals with organizations and clear any requirements that may be required by the organization i.e. applications and training. Please keep in mind that long term stays are highly recommended as organizations prefer consistency and long commitments from volunteers. CVs always recommended. Availability of volunteer opportunities will vary throughout the year and are matched with students depending on availability.
Volunteers will receive a certificate of volunteering from the school which states the organization the student attended as well as dates and hours the student volunteered for.