How to Improve Your Spoken English
After learning English as a second language in a renowned school in your neighborhood in California for some time, you may begin to wonder when you are going to be more relaxed and confident while speaking it. You have invested a lot of effort, and you have noticed a tremendous improvement in your spelling. Even writing doesn’t seem so frightening as you have learned numerous writing styles.
But whenever it’s time to speak, you feel a lump in your throat, and you would do anything to get rid of this feeling. Luckily, we are here for you. We’ve prepared a few tips that can help you speak English fluently and clearly. Read on!
How to speak English fast and fluently
You probably dream about sounding like a native English speaker, right? You want to gain their effortlessness, fluency, and speed. We totally feel you. There is nothing more rewarding than having a relaxed chat without any fears you might sound awkward because you speak too slowly. That’s why we prepared a few tips that can help you develop a more natural speed while speaking English without compromising your fluency.
- Make sure to pronounce words right. If you speak too fast and mispronounce every other word, this can harm your daily communication. Correct pronunciation should be your starting point.
- Try using contractions. For instance, instead of saying: “I would like to go with you,” say: “I’d like to go with you.”
- Start thinking in English. If you translate from your native language in your head, it’ll take longer to formulate your sentences in English.
- Don’t overthink before saying something. Relax and stop worrying about perfection. You might make a few mistakes, but this will be less noticeable in spoken English. And since your goal is to communicate effectively, you can do it even with a few imperfections.
- Practice shadowing. Listen and imitate native speakers. This will help you a lot with your pronunciation and intonation. This requires a lot of regular practice, so be patient.
You need to be super careful when speaking fast. For instance, if your pronunciation is not clear, speaking faster is just going to make everything worse – and other people won’t understand you. Talking very fast can sometimes give the impression that you’re too nervous or insecure. So don’t go overboard in increasing your speaking speed.
How can I speak more clearly in English?
If you want to have successful communication in English, you need to speak clearly. Thus, you’ll be able to express your opinion easily, and your interlocutors will enjoy conversing with you. If you have trouble making yourself understood, here are a few handy tips for you.
- Take a deep breath and calm down. Fill your lungs with oxygen, and take a moment or two to organize your thoughts before uttering anything.
- Articulate your words. Pronounce each syllable individually, and try to stop the air for consonants like “t” and “b”. Also, differentiate between your vowels.
- Practice pronunciation every day – in the car, while cleaning, knitting, or standing in front of the mirror.
- Don’t rush when you speak. You probably wish to sound more native-like, and one way to achieve this is by speeding up a little bit. But you need to be cautious as you don’t want to sound too aggressive. Find your optimal speed at which you feel relaxed and able to communicate without over-tiring either yourself or others.
Where can I learn English as a second language in a school in California?
Finding the right English language school is not straightforward at all. You need to be mindful of teaching methods, teacher qualifications, their experience, etc. But we have some fantastic news for you! Here at the College of English Language, we strive to meet the highest teaching standards and accreditation requirements set by bodies such as the Commission of English Language Accreditation (CEA). Our native teachers are experienced and equipped with amazing teaching methods, such as storytelling, which will help you hone your speaking skills in no time.
We boast schools in excellent locations in San Diego, Pacific Beach, and Santa Monica. Visit us, and you will not only learn English in small groups in modern classrooms, but you will also have an opportunity to enjoy our numerous extracurricular activities and social events. Don’t wait any longer. Start learning English with us today!